The Pierce Reservoir was originally named the Kalang River Reservoir. It is Singapore's second reservoir. After it was constructed in the lower reaches of the Kalang River in 1910, the surrounding forest was protected as a water catchment reserve. Much of the northern shore of Upper Peirce used to be thriving gambier and pepper plantations in the late 19th century. In 1922, the Kalang River Reservoir was re-named Peirce Reservoir after Mr Robert Peirce, the municipal engineer of Singapore in 1901-1916. In 1975, a dam was constructed at the upper reaches of the Peirce Reservoir, forming the Upper Peirce and Lower Peirce reservoirs.