This is my 1st food blog entry at Aminus3.com... Pork Vinegar Trotter. I have the privilege to learn this very traditional chinese dish from a good friend's mum. This dish is supposingly nutritious and good for postnatal mums and almost anyone who enjoy this dish.
Here's the recipe:
Pig's Trotter With Old Ginger & Vinegar
1 pig's trotter (front trotters preferred)
1kg old ginger, washed and bruised witih skin on
4 hard boiled eggs
5 tbsp sesame oil
2 heapful tablespoon of brown sugar
750 ml black vinegar
250 ml water
1. Have the butcher clean and chop the trotter into big pieces.
2. Blanche the trotter in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drained, remove scum and trim off fats.
3. Heat sesame oil in the pot and fry ginger till golden brown and fragrant.
4. Put in the trotter and brown the pieces.
5. Pour in the black vinegar and brown sugar.
6. Bring to boil and add water.
7. Continue to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
8. Put the shelled hard boiled eggs into the vinegar gravy and cover and let it simmer for 20 minutes (may simmer this longer if you prefer the trotter to be softer).
9. Serve this along with piping hot fragrant white rice.
This dish is delicious and has many healthy benefits. Black vinegar purifies blood and cleanses the arteries of stale blood. Old ginger get rids of wind in the body. Brown sugar rid of dampness in the body and sesame oil promotes healthy blood circulation. The collagen in the pig trotters helps strengthen joints and ligaments and eggs are good protein and nourish the body.
Special thanks to my good friend (you know who u are if you are reading this blog entry) and mum for sharing this wonderful recipe! :)